Sunday 1, December 2013
Bible Passage(s): Psalm 124
Memory Verse: '' Blessed be the LORD, Who has not given us as prey to their teeth. Our soul has escaped as a bird from the snare of the fowlers; The snare is broken, and we have escaped.'' Ps 124:6-7
December is the month that marks the end the calendar year. As it takes us to the end of one year, it also leads us to the beginning of another one. It therefore refreshes us and gives us hope for a new beginning.
The end of a year is usually a time to cast our minds back over the year and take stock. Taking stock usually implies counting. We take stock of our gains and losses. For some, there may be no cheering news when their stock is taken. They may record more losses than gains and as such may become despondent and conclude that the year has not been particularly good for them. However, it depends on the eyes through which you look at things. The songwriter, Johnston Oatman, in his song 'Count Your Blessings' listed many things that may afflict us and make us not to be cheerful when we do our counting. Particularly at the end of a year, when we recount and relieve our experiences over the year. There will be good and bad times which we have gone through. But when we really sit down and do a list of areas for which we can be thankful, we will be surprised to see how much the Lord has done for us. We should then say, like the Psalmist said in Psalm 124, verse 6 and 7, quoted above, ''Blessed be the LORD, Who has not given us as prey to their teeth. Our soul has escaped as a bird from the snare of the fowlers; The snare is broken, and we have escaped''
On a personal note, as I take stock of the year 2013, I see many challenges that I experienced during the year. But as many of the challenges that I faced, I also see that the Lord helped me to overcome all of them. My soul escaped as a bird from the snare of the fowler. The snare broke and I escaped. Praise be the Lord! Similarly when I take my pen and write down reasons for which I can be thankful, I have many I cannot fully recount.
Therefore as children of God, in our stock taking this December, I enjoin us, let us count our blessings and we will be surprised how much God has done for us. Let thanksgiving flow through our mouths this December and let us rejoice in the Lord of our salvation, our deliverer, the one who makes us to leap over a troop. Our battle fighter, the Jehovah our banner and shield.
The Lord bless you and keep you. May He make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace, now and forevermore. Amen. Have a great month and a wonderful Christmas.
Prayer(s) for the Month
1. As you look back over the year 2013, identify areas to be thankful for and begin to thank God for them.
2. In so doing, say to the Lord, 'Lord you have done so much for me, please give me one more thing - a grateful heart'
3. Look forward to the new year with hope and pray that the Lord will see you through it.
4. Pray for those who are sick right now, who may not be able to enjoy the Christmas season. Ask the Lord to heal them and lift them up from their bed of affliction.
5. Pray that the Lord will crown the year with astounding testimonies for you and your loved ones.
6. Pray that the Lord will bring His peace to reign upon our nation Nigeria. That He will remember us with His mercies during this period of the year.