Saturday 1, June 2013
Bible Passage(s): Psalm 15
Memory Verse: ''A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children, but a sinner's wealth is stored up for the righteous.'' Proverbs 13:22
Legacy is something handed down to ones descendants, for example a will, property or money. It can also be anything that is left behind by ones predecessor as an inheritance. It may be a tradition, an achievement or problem caused by something someone did in the past.
As such, there are good legacies as well as bad legacies. There are rich legacies and poor legacies. A good man leaves a legacy for his children's children. If you are a good man, it presupposes that your legacy will be good. A good name is an indication of one's goodness. It provides leverage for ones descendants. They are proud to bear the name because of the goodwill it attracts. 'Generations will call them blessed'.
However, you can only receive a good name if you have integrity. Integrity is simply doing what is right because it is right to do so. It is honesty, wholeness and soundness of character. It is living by good ethics. It is a requirement to be at peace with God and man. In THE MESSAGE version of the Bible, the psalmist in Psalm 15:1, asks: ''God, who gets invited to dinner at your place? How do we get on your guest list?'' and the answer from verse 2 to 5 is: ''Walk straight, act right, tell the truth. Don't hurt your friend, don't blame your neighbor; despise the despicable. Keep your word even when it costs you, make an honest living, never take a bribe. "You'll never get blacklisted if you live like this."
Integrity is the most effective way of receiving God's approval and demonstrating the presence of God in one's life. It is the only ticket for having a good home and hence leaving a good legacy for your descendants to inherit.
Lack of integrity is wickedness, unrighteousness and unfaithfulness. It is evil and leads to loss and destruction, Proverbs 2:22 warns us, ''... the wicked will be cut off from the earth, and the unfaithful will be uprooted from it''.
We require integrity in our relationships (Psalm 15: 3-4), our business and financial dealings (Psalm 15:5), our spiritual life (Hebrews 11:6), our leadership, followership and the way we live our lives (1 Timothy 6:6). There should be a recognisable difference between the integrity of a child of God and the prevailing darkness of the world. Matthew 5: 14, says, as a child of God ''you are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden''.
The rewards of integrity are legion, they include, security (Proverbs 10:9a), blamelessness (Proverbs 2:21), guidance (Proverbs 11:3) and fulfilment (1 Timothy 4: 7 - 8).
There is no legacy that is as rich as integrity. Therefore, if I may ask you, what legacy do you want to leave behind when you exit this world? As I said in the Message of Grace for December 2012: ''A good name is like the currency of money; the gold standard. It endures from one generation to the other. The Good News Version of the Bible gives a clearer view of verse 6: A good person (i.e. one who has a good name) will never fail; he will always be remembered.'' Therefore, I enjoin you, this month, to choose integrity so that your legacy will endure after you.
The Lord bless you and keep you. May He make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you. May the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace, now and forevermore. Amen.
Have a glorious and great month.
Prayers for the month
1. Thank the Lord for the good legacy that our Lord Jesus Christ left behind for us, that we are called children of God.
2. Pray that the Lord will help you, that neither you nor any of your children will bring the good name of our Lord into disrepute.
3. There are many who bear Christian names and have been found to be evil men and women. Pray that the Lord will help your children, that they will not do anything or get involved with any gang that will bring the good name of our Lord into disrepute.
4. Let your heart go to the family of the slain British soldier and those of many in northern Nigeria and other parts of the world that have been slain by evil men. Ask the Lord to comfort and succor them.
5. Pray for peace in our nations and our world.
6. Pray for yourself and ask the Lord to help you in any area you have found yourself not to be walking upright and faithful.
7. Ask that the Lord will help you to leave a good name and a righteous legacy for your descendants.
8. Pray for the church of God. That it will endure and continue to fulfill the counsel of God in this world. That it will not derail and be overwhelmed by the evils of the current age..
9. Come against the spirit of homosexuality and lesbianism. Ask the Lord to bring an end to this evil in our world.
10. Cover your children with the blood of Jesus and ask that the blood of the everlasting covenant will avail for your children always. That they will not be wrongly influenced and corrupted by the craze of this age.